Turkey White Bean Soup
10 Cups Turkey stock (*see note)
I lb. shredded cooked turkey, dark and white meat
1 Cup cooked Barley
1 Cup Navy Beans, soaked and cooked or 1 can, rinsed
1 28oz Can Diced tomatoes with juice
I bunch Kale, chopped, large veins removed
1 Tbsp. olive oil
2 stalks Celery, diced
1 large Carrot, diced
½ White Onion, diced
2 Cloves Garlic, minced
Salt, pepper, rosemary, thyme, dill, oregano
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add carrots, celery, onion and garlic and sauté until tender. Add seasonings to desired taste. (*see note).
- Meanwhile in a large stock pot, heat stock.
- Add tomatoes with juice to the carrots and celery in pan. Simmer until half of the juice reduces.
- Add turkey, beans, and carrots mixture to the stock and allow to lightly simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Add cooked barley. Add chopped kale and heat until softened and withered.
- Serve with chopped fresh parsley finely shredded cheddar if desired.
*Chicken stock can be substituted for turkey stock as can the shredded turkey. I made the stock myself and did most of the seasoning during cooking of the stock in the crock pot. So, I added very little additional seasoning during preparation of the soup. If you use pre-prepared stock, you will need to use more seasoning during cooking for flavor. (approx. ½ tea salt, pepper, and dill; 1 tea rosemary, thyme, and oregano)